Thursday, September 23, 2010

Response to Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God

After reading Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God, I got to learn about Jonathan Edwards and his beliefs regarding Christianity. If I had lived in this Puritan community during this time, I would have thought everything that he was talking about was true all along, because I would have known what the Ten Commandments (Thou shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, Thou shall not kill, etc.) were and I wouldn't have been surprise that everything he talked about  would happen to us if we commit a sin. Some people might have been horrify at the punishments that awaits them if they commit any sins and then they would have started to change their ways so in not to anger God.  Some people would probably not have believed anything he says and then they'll move to a new community since they won't be accepted in the Puritan neighborhood for not believing in what they believe in.

Back to the current time, since I went to a Catholic school and was taught about God's kindness and mercy and how He created us all equal in his image and how He loves all his creations. I don't believe that God would hate somebody and then waits for that person to commit a sin and then condemn that person to Hell. If He actually does do that, then why would you try to please God, if he's always going to hate you? Even if you do go to Heaven, he'll still hate you.

I may have been taught at a Catholic school, but I'm definitely not Catholic. I believe in a God though but I don't really support any religion.

Jonathan Edwards giving a sermon.

1 comment:

  1. Truthfully, many people believed his words as the truth due to his profound education at Yale at the age of thirteen. Although you say that you don't believe his words, could you really explain why what he's saying isn't true? Although it's impossible to prove the existence of God, do you think those people are being manipulated by his words? Do you think you would support him if he was alive today and giving the same sermon? Why or why not?

    ReplyDelete